Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Looking back at 2008

What a year 2008 was for the Cocke family! We were so glad to see 2007 go and couldn't have imagined a more exciting and eventful 2008. Our recap is below.

January
This was a relatively uneventful but rough month for me. I had a miscarriage on 12/27/07 so I was a little leery of what this new year would hold...little did I know the excitement that was to come :)

February
Sam completed the Austin marathon. I was able to cheer him on at several spots along the way and had a front row view of him crossing the finish line. This might sound cheesy but it truly was one of the proudest moments of my life, and I literally had tears in my eyes as I saw him cross the finish. He worked so hard to train for it, and I was happy to see his efforts pay off. I wish I could say that watching him inspired me to train for one...but it didn't. I might consider a half marathon one day, but 26.2 miles just seems cruel.


March
Just a few days before my birthday we found out I was pregnant again. We were definitely more cautious this time but extremely excited nonetheless. My 29th birthday felt like a monumental occasion since it marked my final year in my twenties.


April
This month was a huge milestone for us with the pregnancy. We heard the heartbeat again at almost 9 weeks which is when the previous pregnancy had ended. We were so relieved and finally felt comfortable enough to share our news.


May
Sam and I took our last "just the two of us" vacation. We spent a week in Aruba and had a blast. We didn't do much during the day other than lay around at the hotel pool or beach and soak up the sun. But we did research restaurants in the area and enjoyed some really good food while we were there. I was about 15 weeks pregnant on our trip and must admit that I felt a little awkward in a bathing suit...luckily we didn't know anyone in Aruba :)


June
We celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary on June 19th. This also happened to be the same day we scheduled our "big" ultrasound where we found out that Baby Cocke was a boy...that was our best anniversary gift yet!


July
Sam and I both went as leaders to a Young Life camp in Colorado called Frontier Ranch. We hadn't been to Frontier together since 1998 so experiencing this together again was amazing. It was a life changing week for many of our high school friends, and we were so glad to be a part of it.

Sam and I at Frontier in 1998








August
My mom and I took a trip to visit my sister in Charlotte, NC where we had some much needed girl time. Jenny was quite the hostess and kept us busy and entertained the whole time.

September
Hurricane Ike hit Houston...hard. We were fortunate enough to be spared from any major damage and only had a messy yard to clean up. We also were fortunate in that we only lost power for 4 days, unlike my parents who finally moved in with us after being without power for about 2 weeks.




October
Sam turned the big 3-0! We had a shindig at our house...nothing fancy but several of our good friends came over to spend the evening with us. It was casual and low key, but seeing as how I was about 37 weeks pregnant at the time it was the best I could do.




November
Beckett Walker Cocke arrived on the 12th after keeping us waiting for about 30 hours in labor. But it truly was the most amazing experience of my life, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!




December
On December 1, 2008 we welcomed our newest nephew, John "Jack" Ransom Cocke. We were also able to celebrate Beckett's first Christmas with our family and friends.

Family of 3!

John "Jack" Ransom Cocke

So here's to hoping 2009 is filled with as much excitement and as many blessings as 2008!

3 comments:

Mary said...

MAN...look at sam's hair in 1998! what happened the last 10 years??

jk :)

way to go on the blogging. i can hardly keep up now. that birth announcement is just precious!

Becky Fenn said...

What a wonderful year! Love the updated blogs - so much fun to read. I loved meeting Beckett over Christmas - he is so sweet! Can't wait to see him again soon:)

The Manuel Family said...

I love your year in review and am so happy where you guys are today!! Give "baby Beckett" a hug from Caroline.